You can see more of my pictures at the following link Old Hillsboro Cemetery by cjp02 on Flickr
Old Hillsboro cemetery is located just south of US 136, behind the Post Office, near the center of the town of Hillsboro, in Fountain County, Indiana.
This one of four cemeteries in Cain Township, Fountain County, Indiana. According to Find A Grave there are approximately 420 burials in this old cemetery, the earliest from the early 1830’s. A lot of the headstones are weather worn, and have fallen over and broken, but some have been repaired and mounted on concrete plinths. There are 24 Civil War Veterans buried there.
The town of Hillsboro was laid out in the 1830s, and is the only settlement in Cain Township, having approximately 600 people, half the township population living there. It stands at the intersection of US 136 and Indiana State Road 341. Wikipedia
Cain Township was one of the first of the eleven townships to be established in the county on July 24, 1826. At that time, much of the land was forested, but 100 years later most of the land was used for agriculture. Wikipedia
Fountain County lies in the western part of the U.S. state of Indiana on the east side of the Wabash River. The county was officially established in 1826 and was the 53rd in Indiana. The county seat is Covington. According to the 2000 census, its population was 17,954; the 2010 population was 17,240. The county has eight incorporated towns with a total population of about 9,700, as well as many small unincorporated communities; it is also divided into eleven townships which provide local services. An interstate highway, two U.S. Routes and five Indiana state roads cross the county, as does a major railroad line. Wikipedia
The state of Indiana was established in 1816. The first non-indigenous settler in the area that became Fountain County is thought to have been a Mr. Forbes, who arrived here in early 1823 and was soon followed by others. Fountain County was officially created on December 30, 1825, the act taking effect on April 1, 1826; the boundaries of the county have not changed since that time. It was named for Major James Fontaine of Kentucky who was killed at Harmar’s Defeat (near modern Fort Wayne, Indiana) on October 22, 1790, during the Northwest Indian War. Wikipedia