Montgomery County

54 Montgomery

Montgomery County is a county in the U.S. state of Indiana. As of 2010, the population was 38,124.[1] The county seat is Crawfordsville.[2] The county has 11 townships which provide local services.
County Website – http://www.montgomerycounty.in.gov

——————————————–
History

Early history and settlement

The earliest known inhabitants of the area that would become Montgomery County were the Mound Builders, Native Americans who built large earthen mounds, two of which were constructed in southeastern Franklin Township. (Note: Research in the late 1900s has shown these mounds were natural mounds not man made. Subsequent Native American tribes occupied the area until as late as 1832.

The first white settler in the area that would become Montgomery County was William Offield, earlier of Tennessee, who arrived in 1821 with his wife Jennie (née Laughlin) and one child and settled near the confluence of Offield Creek and Sugar Creek, about five miles (8 km) southwest of Crawfordsville. The first land in the county to be purchased from the government was a tract in Scott Township sold to John Loop on July 23, 1822; many more tracts were entered in subsequent months, most in Union Township. The area’s settlers mostly came from Kentucky and Ohio, with others arriving from Tennessee, Virginia and the Carolinas.

Montgomery County was established by an act of the Indiana state legislature passed on December 21, 1822, which defined the county’s boundaries and provided for the organization of its government. It was formed from parts of Wabash New Purchase attached to Parke and Putnam Counties. The county was named in honor of Richard Montgomery, an American Revolutionary War general killed on December 31, 1775, while attempting to capture Quebec City in the Battle of Quebec. The first county election was held on March 1, 1823, with 61 voters participating to elect the first three county commissioners — William Offield, James Blevins and John McCollough — who then ordered that the first jail and courthouse be built.

Beginning on December 24, 1824, a large land sale was held for several days at the United States Land Office on North Water Street in Crawfordsville during which a large number of the area’s tracts were sold at auction. The money raised from the sale, mostly in the form of gold and silver, was packed into kegs, hauled by wagon to Louisville, carried by boat up the Ohio River, and eventually to Washington, D.C. Settlement increased substantially during the subsequent year.

——————————————–
Courthouses

Montgomery County’s first courthouse was ordered on June 28, 1823, to be made “of good hewed logs… to be twenty-six feet long; two stories high, lower story nine feet from floor to joist; upper to be seven feet to roof”. Eliakam Ashton won the contract to construct the building and completed it on a lot along Main Street on August 9, 1824, at a cost of $295. In 1825 a contract was issued to Henry Ristine to cut trees and pick up chips from under the courthouse so that “hogs would not find a comfortable place in which to make their beds”.

A second, more substantial structure was ordered in 1831, the contract for its construction being awarded to John Hughes for $3,420. The result, completed in 1833, was a two-story, 40×40 foot brick building surmounted by a cupola, later supplemented by separate one-story buildings erected to the north and east as wings of the main structure. The building stood on the current public square for over forty years until being torn down in 1875.

The third and current Montgomery County courthouse was the first courthouse designed by George W. Bunting of Indianapolis; it is one of six of his Indiana courthouses still standing. Bunting had served as a colonel in the Confederacy during the Civil War before establishing himself in Indianapolis; General Lew Wallace, who was on the Union side during the War and was a resident of Montgomery County, spoke at the dedication of the cornerstone in 1875. The building was constructed by McCormack and Sweeney of Columbus at a cost of $150,000, and was completed in 1876.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery_County,_Indiana

——————————————–
Indiana is a U.S. state located in the Midwestern and Great Lakes regions of North America. Indiana is the 38th largest by area and the 16th most populous of the 50 United States. Its capital and largest city is Indianapolis. Indiana was admitted to the United States as the 19th U.S. state on December 11, 1816. The United States Census Bureau estimates that the population of Indiana was 6,619,680 on July 1, 2015, a 2.10% increase since the 2010 United States Census. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana

——————————————–
There are 11 Towns / Cities, each with their own ZIP codes, still in existence, in Montgomery County, Indiana.

  • 47916 Alamo
  • 47933 Crawfordsville
  • 47940 Darlington
  • 47954 Ladoga
  • 47955 Linden
  • 47965 New Market
  • 47967 New Richmond
  • 47968 New Ross
  • 47989 Waveland
  • 47990 Waynetown
  • 47994 Wingate

The County seat is in Crawfordsville.

47916-alamo
47933-crawfordsville
47940-darlington
47954-ladoga
47955-linden
47965-new-market
47967-new-richmond
47968-new-ross
47989-waveland
47990-waynetown
47994-wingate

——————————————–
Census-designated place

  • Lake Holiday

——————————————–
Other unincorporated places

  • Ames
  • Balhinch
  • Beckville
  • Bowers
  • Browns Valley
  • Cherry Grove
  • Darlington Woods
  • Deer’s Mill
  • Elmdale
  • Fiskville
  • Garfield
  • Hibernia
  • Kirkpatrick
  • Lapland
  • Linnsburg
  • Log Cabin Crossroads
  • Mace
  • Manchester
  • North Union
  • Parkersburg
  • Shannondale
  • Smartsburg
  • Taylor Corner
  • Wesley
  • Whitesville
  • Yountsville

——————————————–
Extinct towns

  • Binford
  • Fredericksburg
  • Troutman

——————————————–
There are 11 townships in Montgomery County, that provide local services. Each of the townships has a trustee who administers rural fire protection and ambulance service, provides poor relief and manages cemetery care, among other duties. The trustee is assisted in these duties by a three-member township board. The trustees and board members are elected to four-year terms.

Brown
Clark
Coal Creek
Franklin
Madison
Ripley
Scott
Sugar Creek
Union
Walnut
Wayne

———————————————–

Advertisements